- a wee assortment of questions answered.

Well, not so much "frequently asked" as "fending off"!     Click to expand & collapse questions & answers.


  • Do you do outdoor shoots?

    Absolutely.  If you have a favourite place, such as a beach, farm or woodland, let's talk!

  • Do you do weddings?

    No.  However, I do work with a number of individual freelancers whom I trust and whose work I respect.
    So, even if I can't be of help, feel free to get in touch and I'll be happy to point you at someone who can.

  • Do you do drone photography or video?

    No.  I'm fully focussed on ground-based stills photography.
    However, I can recommend a licenced drone photography & videography company.

  • But I'm just not photogenic - I hate getting my photo taken?

    Se demol, derego, forte Loris inaro. Demant Loris, demis Trux, fulo fensan gisan dux. Let's debunk the myth of you not being photogenic it's all about capturing your authentic self! Your comfort is the secret ingredient to beautiful images. I'm here to support you every step of the way, ensuring you feel at ease and confident

  • Do you shoot on weekends or evenings?

    Se demol, derego, forte Loris inaro. Demant Loris, demis Trux, fulo fensan gisan dux. Yes. I understand that you are living a busy life hence I always try to accommodate my clients' needs. We will find the date that works for you


  • Do you shoot pets in the studio?

    As long as there's room, then yes, of course! Pets are an integral part of any family and are most welcome.
    For multiple or larger dogs, please check first!
    Larger animals won't fit in my studio - but - a studio shoot can be set up on your premises, if space permits.

  • What should I wear for the shoot?

    Se demol, derego, forte Loris inaro. Demant Loris, demis Trux, fulo fensan gisan dux. Select wardrobe choices that reflect your personality and style. Think about colours and textures that make you feel confident. Jot down any questions or specific ideas you have so we can discuss them during our pre-shoot call.

  • I have images I want to use for inspiration - can I bring those?

    Absolutely! If you have inspo images, such as your favourite artists, celebs or magazine photos that have a particular "look" you'd like to reproduce, send them to me or bring them along to the shoot.

    In the studio, we can recreate different styles of lighting and poses, so can work with your inspo images to create something special & unique to you.

  • How long does the shoot last?

    Se demol, derego, forte Loris inaro. Demant Loris, demis Trux, fulo fensan gisan dux. I typically reserve up to 4 hours per session. This time allows us to create beautiful images without any rush. Rest assured, I won't be watching the clock - our focus is on capturing stunning moments.

  • Can you photograph my vehicle?

    Yes.  We can either take your vehicle out to an outdoor location or, if space permits, we can set up a studio-style shoot on your premises. This tractor image was shot as a "portrait", using studio strobe lighting.



  • I am a personal Client - Can I buy digital images?

    Yes & No.
    For personal clients, any physical wall art products you buy would come with a JPG copy of that image, sized at 300dpi for the products actually purchased.
    (Wall art would include: Mounted paper prints; Framed prints; Framed & unframed photo panels)

  • I am a commercial client - Can I buy digital images?

    For commercial clients there's an expectation that you require the images for publication, websites, marketing, etc. JPGs are supplied as standard. Other file formats are available by request.

  • I an a commercial client - What format of images do you supply?

    Unless requested otherwise, images are provided via a client gallery in JPG format, sized for your required print size at 300ppi (pixels per inch, sometimes referred to as dpi or dots per inch)

  • Can I buy unedited images or camera RAW files?

    No.  If I were to do this, I would have no control over the quality of the finished product.

  • Can I buy all of the photographs taken during the shoot?

    No.  I reserve the right to select which images are suitable, from those taken during the shoot.
    Not all photos shot will be usable and I make the final decision as to which images are rejected and which are suitable for purchase.

  • Who owns the copyright to the photographs you take for me?

    Legally, copyright is held by the photographer who took the image. This is standard within the industry

  • Can I buy the copyright to photographs you take for me?

    I do not normally sell the copyright to any of my images. If you really need to buy and own copyright, then this would be by written agreement and involve agreeing and paying a "Copyright Buy-Out" fee. This fee will vary, depending on the intended usage.


  • I'm not sure about having prints mounted - what would you recommend?

    When framing, whether or not to add a "mount" (UK) or "mat" (USA) to your artwork is entirely up to you. Practically, an acid-free mat is a good way to protect the artwork from condensation, or from sticking to the glass.

    Personally, I like to view a frame as a border or barrier between the artwork and the surrounding room / environment. A mount then leads the viewer in from this barrier, into and interacting with the artwork itself. If you're going to have one, it's important to choose a mount that enhances, rather than detracts from, the artwork.

    A good strategy when choosing a mount colour, is to pick a colour that draws attention to the main subject, or elements, of the artwork. This is ultimately a personal choice but I can offer suggestions or recommendations, for this.

    It's imporant not to have too narrow a mount, as this can lead to it being more of a distraction than enhancement. For artworks in the range 11x14in to 30x20in, mounts are typically 2in wide.
    For smaller artworks, mounts can be smaller, for example 1.75in or 1.5in wide.
    For larger artworks, 3in or 4in may be appropriate, to retain a sense of good proportions.

  • You print onto metal panels - how does that work?

    Printing onto aluminium photo panels uses a process called "Dye Sublimation". There are three separate stages to this:

    1. Create a print master

    The digital image is re-sized & cropped to fit the area of the chosen panel, based on a print resolution of 300 pixels per inch. The "print master" includes an extra bleed area printed all round, to ensure a borderless print, and fiducial marks to help keep everything aligned during the third (pressing) stage.

    2. Create a transfer print

    The print master is sent to a Mutoh VJ628 wide-format printer, to create a mirrored transfer print. This printer is loaded with special "sublimation" inks and paper - more on this in the third (pressing) stage.

    3. Transfer paper print to aluminium panel

    Chromaluxe high definition photo panels comprise a 1.14mm thick aluminium sheet, with a thin polymer layer bonded to one side. It's this polymer layer that accepts the photograpihic image. Blank panels are available with gloss or matte, white or silver finishes. I prefer to use gloss white, as this produces prints with deep blacks, brilliant whites and rich, vibrant colours.

    The blank panel is taped face-down onto the ink side of the print master, pressed together, then cooked under pressure at 180degC for 150s. During the pressing stage, the ink sublimes (i.e. changes directly from solid to gas) off the paper and is deposited (directly from gas back to to solid) onto the coated panel.

  • How big can photo panels go?

    In my studio, I'm limited by the size of my heat press to printing panels up to 24x20inch. Larger panels are available - I just don't do those myself, subcontracting them out instead. Depending on the image, max single panel size is 8ftx4ft - Same as a sheet of plasterboard.


  • What cameras and lenses do you use?

    I exclusively use Nikon cameras & lenses. Currently, my main camera body is a 45MP "D850" DSLR, and my second body is a 36MP "D800" DSLR.
    I use a wide range of manual and auto-focus lenses, both fixed primes and professional zooms.
    For lighting, I use (up to 5) Elinchrom strobes and modifiers, along with (up to 3) Nikon speedlights.

  • What computer software do you use?

    • Nikon Capture NX Studio
    • Adobe Photoshop
    • Capture One
    • Topaz Photo Ai
    • Topaz DeNoise Ai
    • Topaz Gigapixel Ai
    • Topaz Sharpen Ai
    • 3DVista Stitcher 4
    • 3DVista Virtual Tour


  • I have a problem with my camera - can you help?

    I can give you advice with regards to camera problems, or something you think may be at fault. Whilst Moraylight is not a camera sales or repair centre, I'm happy to try to help and to give advice. I have a fairly extensive knowledge of Nikon cameras & lenses, going back to the 1950s

  • Do you buy or sell camera equipment?

    Moraylight does not buy and sell camera equipment as such. However, I'm always on the lookout for used Nikon & Elinchrom gear so, if you have an old Nikon in a cupboard, I might be interested in buying it for my collection!
    I sometimes also (reluctantly) let go of used equipment, such as Nikon lenses and bodies. Feel free to pop me an email of you want to discuss buying or selling something.

  • If you have any more questions - ask away!